Sunday 16 March 2014

A Visit to the Sugar Bush

This weekend,  we went to a family party that included a trip to McCully's Hill Farm, in Stratford.  It might not feel like it to us yet, but the maple trees seem to think spring is on the way!   We got to see the whole process, from the sap dripping out of the trees, to the Sugar Shack, and the final product.

We rode on this horse-drawn sleigh into the sugar bush.


I had never been on a big sleigh like this one before!  The ride was very smooth and quiet.  The wind was pretty cold though.

They have a lot of maple trees, of various sizes.  The size of the tree determines how many taps the tree can support without doing it harm.  The largest ones can be tapped four times.  Over the whole season each tap will provide approximately enough maple sap to boil down into just 1 litre of syrup.



After touring the sugar bush, we got to see the sugar shack, where the sap is boiled down into syrup.


 I was expecting to see large vats of syrup over a fire, with someone using a giant spoon to stir the pot.  I guess I have seen too much Little House on the Prairie!   In actuality,  the process is automated.  Check out this evaporator!


They also had a barn where we got to see goats, chickens, rabbits and this "little" guy.  He's a baby Clydesdale,  only 3 days old.



 Last stop on the tour; a country store where they sell not only maple syrup,  but a wide assortment of home-canned pickles, jams, jellies, relishes and chutneys.



I was really inspired, since I have been thinking a lot lately about how to preserve the extra produce from my farm share this summer.

I bought some maple syrup, and I found a book on canning, freezing and fermenting.  Just what I needed!  Now I know the best method of preserving each type of vegetable and fruit, I can make my own fruit leather, pickles, jams, etc.  Can't wait! 



No comments:

Post a Comment