Sunday 26 January 2014

The Las Cacas Henna Experience

Ok, so we are getting ready for our Cuba vacation next week, and I decided to dye my hair with henna.  I used Lush Caca Marron Henna hair dye.  It comes in a block that looks a little like a big chocolate bar and smells like a combination of coffee, chocolate and perfume.  One bar costs around 25 dollars and is enough for two treatments with short hair like mine.


First, you chop up the henna with a big knife. 

Next, put the bits into a double boiler,  or use a metal bowl over simmering water, as I did.  Add enough boiling water to cover the henna.  Stir it until all the pieces are melted and the mixture is about the consistency of brownie batter.  Use more water, if needed.  While you are mixing it up, it really looks like poo, but I guess they don't call it "caca" for nothing!


At this point I took the bowl up to the bathroom, where I already had latex gloves and a shower cap waiting.  The henna works better if it is hot when you apply it, but you have to be careful not to burn yourself.  I let it cool a little while I applied a thick layer of Ultrabalm (a free sample given to me when I bought the henna!) around my hairline to prevent my skin from getting stained by the henna.   You could also use petroleum jelly.

With my head hung over the side of the tub, I applied the henna mixture from the back of my head to the front, and scalp to ends.  It was a little messy, but all the mess went into the tub.


All the splatters washed easily down the drain, and didn't stain the tub.

I wrapped my head in a plastic shower cap for the rest of the day, about six hours in all.  The instructions say that wrapping your head in plastic will bring out the red hues more, while leaving it open to the air will develop the brown hues more.


With my fashion-forward shower cap on, I stuck close to home and just did some cooking for the next week and read.  After dinner, I showered and rinsed out all the henna, then conditioned.

The colour continues to develop for two days after the application.

So, how did it turn out?  My review is mixed.  Check out the before and after for yourself.


Before

After 3 days

Yup, the colour looks almost exactly the same. :-/

Actually, I do notice a more reddish tint, especially when the light hits it.  My greys are now red highlights.  I bet it will look a lot redder in the Cuban sun!

Where I have seen a big difference, though, is in the texture of my hair.  It is so soft and shiny and well conditioned.  Lush's henna is mixed with cocoa butter for conditioning and lemon juice for shine.  I love it!  This is my second time using this product and I plan to continue using it.  I even think I will let it grow longer, now that I know how to get it in such great shape.

Lush has four different shades of Las Cacas, Caca Marron, which I used here, is a chestnut brown with red highlights.  They also have Caca Rouge, an out and out red; Caca Brun, a coffee-cloured brown; and Caca Noir, black.  The Brun and Noir shades have more indigo mixed in to give a darker colour.  I'd like to take my hair to a darker, more dramatic brown.   I think next time I will try the Brun and see how that goes. 

Well, that's it for this week.  Next week I will share pictures of our Cuba vacation. 

 Adiós! 



No comments:

Post a Comment